REPROCELL announces an entrustment contract with Healios K.K. (headquarters: Minato Ward, Tokyo; president and CEO: Tadanao Kagimoto; hereafter, Healios) for sample testing support of human clinical trials conducted by Healios, as well as the formation of said contract on the same day.
1. Overview of contracted business
REPROCELL has partnered with Healios, is a biotechnology firm pioneering the development of regenerative medicine approaches in Japan. Healios has initiated clinical trials for the stem cell product MultiStem® developed by Athersys, Inc. for treatment during the acute phase of stroke. It has been agreed, REPROCELL will be entrusted with some of the testing of patient samples to support these clinical trials. Healios is also a pioneer for the use of iPS cells and somatic stem cells, in the treatment of age-related macular degeneration (ongoing clinical research).
In addition to its iPS cell business, REPROCELL also conducts laboratory testing of human samples for hospital that provide hematopoietic stem cell transplants and organ transplants across Japan. Through this contract business and other activities, REPROCELL intends to support the emerging field of regenerative medicine and drug discovery. REPROCELL products and services include stem cell technologies and contract research activities that contribute to the development of cell therapy and pharmaceutical products in cutting-edge health fields and related industries.
Contract formation and start of business: November 22, 2016
3. Partner overview
- Name: Healios K.K.
- Location: 2-4-1 Hamamatsu-cho, Minato Ward, Tokyo World Trade Center Building 15F
- Name & position of representative: President and CEO Tadanao Kagimoto
- Business activities: Development and sales of ophthalmologic surgical procedures
- Capital stock: 5.38 billion yen
- Date founded: February 24, 2011
- Major stockholders and percentage of stock held: Tadanao Kagimoto (70.85%)